Tips for Finding the Perfect St. Louis Home | How to Involve the Whole Family in Looking for your St. Louis Home
Tips for Finding the Perfect St. Louis Home for Your Family
Whether you’re shopping for your first home or your thirtieth, house hunting is stressful. You want to find the perfect St. Louis home, but unless you’ve just won the lottery, you have budgetary concerns which could prevent you from checking off every item on your bucket list. Buying a new home is usually the largest financial decision a family makes in a lifetime, the fear of making a mistake can be paralyzing. It’s important to understand exactly how each aspect of your new home and community can impact your family. By utilizing a few house hunting tips, you can ensure you choose the best home for your family and your needs.
Make a List
Put a list together of wants and needs. Each family might have a different list, but that’s ok. Each person should write down what they want and don’t want in a new home. Your list should include:
- Location: City and community. It’s important to identify the area/areas you are willing to consider. St. Louis has many diverse neighborhoods and communities. Where the home is located has been proven to be the more important aspect of a happy lifestyle
- Schools: Where will your children attend school? Are they already in a local school where they wish to continue?
- Home Features: This is where you list your chef’s kitchen and dream master suite
- Lot Features: Do you want a pool? Large yard? Small yard?
Prioritize and Discuss
- Prioritize the list. Each family member should start with deal-breakers and then move down to the list of “like to haves.”
- Compare lists and discuss differences.
- Compromise wherever possible. Carefully listen to the reasons the other person cares about their list of “have to have.”
Discuss with your Agent
- Discuss your list with your St. Louis real estate agent. Your agent can help you determine what is possible in the community and price range you target. You might be able to accommodate everyone’s list, but perhaps in a neighboring community where homes are more affordable. Your agent can help you learn about the local real estate market.
Buying a new home is exciting! The thrill of looking at properties with your family and imagining your future life in that home can be wonderful experience. By taking some thought in advance about the needs and wants of the family can ensure that your home purchase fits your lifestyle and each family member feels satisfied with the decision.